Sunday, March 18, 2012

Long Overdue Appreciation


Thus far, studying abroad has taught me more about myself than any other past experience.  Some things I’ve discovered make me want to physically give myself a “pat on the back”, while others I wish I never had to confront.  One that stands out the most, and I cannot believe I am actually admitting this, is that I miss Merrimack.  Those who knew me in high school understand that the definition of a “Type A” personality is:  Jenn Brooks.  Although I am much more relaxed in Madrid, which is something I absolutely needed more of in my life, at the end of the day Jenn Brooks does not relax.  I miss the stress of an everyday US college student, and everything that comes along with it.  From putting up Facebook statuses such as “2 a.m. why must we keep meeting this way, I would much rather sleep with you”, to Earl Grey caffeinated tea becoming my anti-drug, to cramming for finals on a Friday night in the crowded Merrimack library, I miss it all.  I have come up with a list titled “The 30 Things I Miss the Most About Being a Merrimack College Student” which I would like to share with you.  In no particular order at all, here is what I have come up with:   
  1. Registering for classes online is not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. 
  2. Sodexo.
  3. Doing my own laundry, even though the machines always eat my quarters.
  4. Ugg boots and North Faces.
  5. Toilets that you can flush with your foot.
  6. CHEAP PEANUT BUTTER!!!
  7. College ruled lined paper; I am having none of this European graph paper.
  8. Doors that you can lock from the inside with the push of a knob.
  9. Pandora and Netflix.
  10. Full-out "scrubbin" to class.
  11. Wireless Internet, even that one spot in the library on the 3rd floor that never receives a signal. 
  12. Chicken fingers and mozzarella sticks. 
  13. The Roman Missal at Sunday mass.
  14. TV, enough said.
  15. The rush to dinner at 5 p.m.
  16. Walking 5 minutes to get to class as opposed to riding a train for an hour. 
  17. Have I mentioned Sodexo…
  18. Omelet line for Sunday brunch.
  19. The value of a dollar.
  20. Shower stalls.
  21. Not having to hug my purse out of fear of being pick-pocketed.
  22. Cold milk.
  23. Signing up for advising.
  24. Hair straighteners/curling irons/blow-dryers that do not blow up in your face when you use them.
  25. Verizon’s cell phone service.
  26. Meetings.
  27. Speaking English.
  28. Professors that know my name instead of losing me on the Metro at orientation, please refer to my post “Where for art thou red umbrella?”
  29. Orientation.
  30. Driving in Nor-easters to get to campus because classes are never canceled. 

No comments:

Post a Comment